Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Other Details I Failed to Mention

The Day
I write to you today from a very rainy and dark Dominican day... which just so happens to be our day off... and we were planning to go for a hike. Oh well... I get to writes blogs and catch up on e-mails! We have this week off, Mon-Fri, and then we receive another team on Saturday. We have been enjoying our time off, we went to the beach on Sunday; on Monday we went into Santiago to do some shopping for needed supplies that we cannot get up here; yesterday we took it easy and just enjoyed the beautiful day that we had, then had friends over for dinner; and today it's raining, so another forced day of rest and relaxation.

Prayer
During our time here, I have been learning the power of prayer and how it prepares me for the whole day. Every morning (when we have teams) we set them up for their devotional time from 7-7:30am every morning. I have been using that time specifically to pray over the day. Talk about a transformation in me and my attitude, and how God blesses that time by giving me grace and patience. Amen!

Hablas espanol???
Josh and I have been learning Spanish, but at a much slower rate than we would like to be. So we are going to hire a Spanish tutor really soon, we are just working out details. It's very inexpensive, 150 pesos for an hour - which is about $4.50. We are hoping to begin at 3-days a week, an hour a day and then when we have no teams (April -12 - May 7) we are hoping to do 4-days a week, 2 hours a day. We are so excited to begin.

Friends, fun, food
Last night we had some friends over for dinner, dessert (chocolate eclairs), and games and Josh got a picture of me cooking with my faithful companion... Snickers... also known as Bubba (that's what we call him the majority of the time because he is so thick and big!)






Cindy... if you look close enough, you'll notice that the apron I'm wearing is the one you and Cole gave me for my birthday!
Moto
Josh finally got a picture of his moto...
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll make sure Cindy and Cole get a look at these photos, they will be happy to see you using the matching apron... Bubba is such a great dog.

Nice to hear that you have been enjoying some downtime - wish we could have been there to sample your eclairs too. Nice moto Josh!

Josh and Vicki Mathews said...

Wait a minute Russell... you mean to tell me that you didn't get the virtual eclairs I sent you?!?!

Anonymous said...

Mia and Cole ate virtually all of them before I had chance. But I imagine they were delicious! ;)

You know, I almost like the idea of virtual eclairs. Only half the pure joy that is Vicki's eclairs... true. BUT zero-guilt after I ate too many. Send me more next time you bake.

Deborah said...

Yeah, we know what your kitchen looks like :-)

Thanks for the random notes Vicki, very interesting facts you gave us.